Frequently Asked Questions
How has the program responded to COVID-19?
The program is following CDC recommended guidelines and will be conducting all activities virtually to avoid community spread. Program participants will receive any required materials for interactive activities in the mail.
What do mentors do?
Mentors play an essential role in the program by engaging in the following:
● Take the lead in supporting PEARLS through an ongoing, one-to-one relationship
● Serve as a positive role model
● Build relationship with mentee through regular communication
● Strive for mutual respect
● Build self-esteem and motivation
● Help mentee set goals and work toward accomplishing them
Do you have to be a student of Oyster Adams Bilingual School to participate in DC PEARLS Program DC?
Yes, all mentees must be current students in grades 6th through 8th.
Is there a GPA requirement to be a PEARL mentee?
No, there is no GPA requirement to join PEARLS Program DC.
What is the time commitment for mentors or mentees?
This year's calendar will run from October to May with sessions occurring generally twice a month for a total of 15 sessions. In virtual format, sessions will be 90 minutes in length. In addition to these sessions we recommend that mentors and mentees maintain regular communication.